How to Become a Legally Ordained Minister in Tennessee:
With the American Fellowship Church the process of becoming an ordained minister / wedding officiant in Tennessee is very simple, just read below and follow the instructions.
Title 36 Domestic Relations
Chapter 3 Marriage
Part 3 Ceremony
36-3-301. Persons who may solemnize marriages.
(a)(1) All regular ministers of the gospel of every denomination, and Jewish rabbis, more than eighteen years of age, having the care of souls, may solemnize the rite of matrimony....
(2) In order to solemnize the rite of matrimony, any such minister, preacher, pastor, priest, rabbi or other spiritual leader must be ordained or otherwise designated in conformity with the customs of a church, temple or other religious group or organization; and such customs must provide for such ordination or designation by a considered, deliberate, and responsible act.
1. By becoming an ordained minister with the American Fellowship Church you are a "licensed / ordained minister who is authorized by a religious denomination", in accord with our rules and customs we authorize you (once ordained & in good standing with our church) to solemnize marriages and/or officiate at marriage ceremonies.
2. In order to remain in good standing with the American Fellowship Church you must hold an unexpired minster license ID card, and be in "regular communion."
Our definition of regular communion; You must contact us at least 1 time per year, and if any of your contact information should change (your name, physical address, or email) you must notify us within two weeks of the change.
3. In order to become ordained you will need to order an ID Card (minister license). We offer ordination for three different terms:
4. Finally to qualify for ordination with the American Fellowship Church in the state of Tennessee you must agree to the Certification, and our Code of Ethics.
While training is not required in order to become ordained with the American Fellowship Church, we do urge our members to learn more about being an ordained minister, therefore we offer a number of online courses that are self paced and written in plain English. If you are interested in training please see "Online Minister Training"
*The information provided on this page is for guidance only it is NOT legal advice.
We currently have many ordained ministers in the state of Tennessee.
It is critically important that you verify all information with your local marriage license office / county clerk before conducting a wedding ceremony. It is your responsibility to operate within the bounds of the law.