Loading... Please wait...

Our Newsletter

Hawaii Minister License

How to Become a Legally Ordained Minister in Hawaii:

With the American Fellowship Church the process of becoming an ordained minister / wedding officiant in Hawaii is very simple, just read below and follow the instructions.

**UPDATE 8/1/2012 -

It has come to our attention that Hawaii has changed the procedure for registering as a minister in order to solemnize marriage. It appears that you may (once ordained) register via the Hawaii Health Department website for a $10 fee. Unless you have had your authorization to solemnize suspended in the past go ahead and proceed as described below.

Hawaii State Department of Health:


Ministers may perform marriages if they are authorized by their church to do so. Ministers must obtain a license from the department of health before performing marriages.

Hawaii Performer Guidelines

If you plan to perform marriages in Hawaii you will need to register and submit your information to the Hawaii State Department of Health. Please allow us at least one to two weeks in advance of your application, before making plans to Solemnize in Hawaii.

Once you have requested your minister license / Ordination and ID card, and have been approved by us, further having received your Ordination paperwork from the American Fellowship Church then follow the instructions below.



1. By becoming an ordained minister with the American Fellowship Church you are a "licensed / ordained minister who is authorized by a religious denomination", in accord with our rules and customs we authorize you (once ordained & in good standing with our church) to solemnize marriages and/or officiate at marriage ceremonies.

2. In order to remain in good standing with the American Fellowship Church you must hold an unexpired minster license ID card, and be in "regular communion."
Our definition of regular communion; You must contact us at least 1 time per year, and if any of your contact information should change (your name, physical address, or email) you must notify us within two weeks of the change.

3. In order to become ordained you will need to order an ID Card (minister license). We offer ordination for three different terms:

Minister-License-1-year-Front-ID__18689_thumb.jpg Minister-License-1-year-Front-ID__18689_thumb.jpg Minister-License-1-year-Front-ID__18689_thumb.jpg
 1 Year  5 Year  Lifetime


4. To qualify for ordination with the American Fellowship Church in the state of Hawaii you must agree to the Certification, and our Code of Ethics.

5. After you have received your Minister License from the American Fellowship Church follow the instructions here to register in the State of Hawaii to perform weddings:

Click here for the Hawaii State Department of Health Minister Online Registration

Once on the Hawaii Dept. of Health Website from the above link:

5-a. Click "Religious"

5-b. Then Choose (either or Both) We suggest Both: Marriage & Civil Union.

Then answer the questions truthfully and honestly. Once finished click "Continue"

5-c. On the next Page, you will be asked for the Church Information, for official purposes please use the headquarters address in California:

American Fellowship Church
225 Crossroads Blvd. #345
Carmel, California 93923

(The Hawaii Dept. of health website uses an auto-fill feature on their website scroll to CARMEL-BY-THE-SEA in the City field)
Click Continue

5-d. Review your information on the next page carefully look for any errors, if all the information appears correct then enter your name at the bottom of the page (in lieu of physically signing your signature)
On the next page you will be asked for your credit card billing information and $10 to process your Hawaii state minister registration to solemnize marriage.


While training is not required in order to become ordained with the American Fellowship Church, we do urge our members to learn more about being an ordained minister, therefore we offer a number of online courses that are self paced and written in plain English. If you are interested in training please see "Online Minister Training"

*The information provided on this page is for guidance only it is NOT legal advice.

We currently have many ordained ministers in the state of Hawaii.

It is critically important that you verify all information with your local marriage license office / county clerk before conducting a wedding ceremony. It is your responsibility to operate within the bounds of the law.