Loading... Please wait...

Our Newsletter

Minnesota Minister License

How to Become a Legally Ordained Minister in Minnesota:

With the American Fellowship Church the process of becoming an ordained minister / wedding officiant in Minnesota is very simple, just read below and follow the instructions.

Marriage law in the State of Minnesota 2011 Statutes:

517.04 PERSONS AUTHORIZED TO PERFORM MARRIAGES.  Marriages may be solemnized throughout the state by an individual who has attained the age of 21 years and is ... a licensed or ordained minister of any religious denomination, or by any mode recognized in section 517.18.

517.05 CREDENTIALS OF MINISTER.  Ministers of any religious denomination, before they are authorized to solemnize a marriage, shall file a copy of their credentials of license or ordination or, if their religious denomination does not issue credentials, authority from the minister's spiritual assembly, with the local registrar of a county in this state, who shall record the same and give a certificate of filing thereof. The place where the credentials are recorded shall be endorsed upon and recorded with each certificate of marriage granted by a minister.

517.10 CERTIFICATE; WITNESSES.  The person solemnizing a marriage shall prepare and sign a certificate. The certificate shall contain the full names of the parties before and after marriage, the birth dates of the parties, and county and state of residences of the parties and the date and place of the marriage. The certificate shall also contain the signatures of at least two of the witnesses present at the marriage who shall be at least 16 years of age. The person solemnizing the marriage shall immediately make a record of such marriage, and file such certificate with the local registrar of the county in which the license was issued within five days after the ceremony. The local registrar shall record such certificate in the county marriage records.

517.13 PENALTY FOR FAILURE TO FILE CERTIFICATE.  Every person solemnizing a marriage who neglects to file a certificate with the local registrar within the time set forth in section 517.10 shall forfeit a sum not exceeding $100, and every local registrar who neglects to record a certificate shall forfeit a like sum. ...

1. By becoming an ordained minister with the American Fellowship Church you are a "licensed / ordained minister who is authorized by a religious denomination", in accord with our rules and customs we authorize you (once ordained & in good standing with our church) to solemnize marriages and/or officiate at marriage ceremonies.

2. In order to remain in good standing with the American Fellowship Church you must hold an unexpired minster license ID card, and be in "regular communion."
Our definition of regular communion; You must contact us at least 1 time per year, and if any of your contact information should change (your name, physical address, or email) you must notify us within two weeks of the change.

3. In order to become ordained in Minnesota you will need to order an ID Card (minister license). We offer ordination for three different terms:

Minister-License-1-year-Front-ID__18689_thumb.jpg Minister-License-1-year-Front-ID__18689_thumb.jpg Minister-License-1-year-Front-ID__18689_thumb.jpg
 1 Year  5 Year  Lifetime

4. You will also need a "Letter of Authorization to Solemnize / Letter of Good Standing" So that you can register in your County.

5. Finally to qualify for ordination with the American Fellowship Church in the state of Minnesota you must agree to the Certification, and our Code of Ethics.

While training is not required in order to become ordained with the American Fellowship Church, we do urge our members to learn more about being an ordained minister, therefore we offer a number of online courses that are self paced and written in plain English. If you are interested in training please see "Online Minister Training"

*The information provided on this page is for guidance only it is NOT legal advice.

We currently have many ordained ministers in the state of Minnesota.

It is critically important that you verify all information with your local marriage license office / county clerk before conducting a wedding ceremony. It is your responsibility to operate within the bounds of the law.