Loading... Please wait...

Our Newsletter

Wisconsin Minister License

How to Become a Legally Ordained Minister in Wisconsin:

With the American Fellowship Church the process of becoming an ordained minister / wedding officiant in Wisconsin (as a resident of WI) is very simple, just read below and follow the instructions.

Marriage law in the State of Wisconsin:

765.16 Marriage contract, how made; officiating person.

(1m) Marriage may be validly solemnized and contracted in this state only after a marriage license has been issued therefor, and only by the mutual declarations of the 2 parties to be joined in marriage that they take each other as husband and wife, made before an authorized officiating person and in the presence of at least 2 competent adult witnesses other than the officiating person. The following are authorized to be officiating persons:
(a) Any ordained member of the clergy of any religious denomination or society who continues to be an ordained member of the clergy..
765.19  Delivery and filing of marriage document.
The marriage document, legibly and completely filled out with unfading black ink, shall be returned by the officiating person... to the register of deeds of the county in which the marriage was performed within 3 days after the date of the marriage...

IN ORDER TO SOLEMNIZE MARRIAGE IN WISCONSIN AS AN ORDAINED MINISTER OF THE AFC YOU MUST ASLO BE A WISCONSIN RESIDENT. If you are not a resident of WI, and you would like to solemnize marriage in WI, you must know a currently ordained minister (who is a WI resident) and that person will need to write a letter of sponsorship on your behalf.

As we do not share our members' personal information, at this time we can not assist non-residents in this matter.  

f you are a current member of the AFC, and willing to sponsor out of state residents (who are also ministers) please contact us so that we may facilitate this service for our non resident ministers.


Updated - 5-19-2014


1. By becoming an ordained minister with the American Fellowship Church you are a "licensed / ordained minister who is authorized by a religious denomination", in accord with our rules and customs we authorize you (once ordained & in good standing with our church) to solemnize marriages and/or officiate at marriage ceremonies.

2. In order to remain in good standing with the American Fellowship Church you must hold an unexpired minster license ID card, and be in "regular communion."
Our definition of regular communion; You must contact us at least 1 time per year, and if any of your contact information should change (your name, physical address, or email) you must notify us within two weeks of the change.

3. In order to become ordained you will need to order an ID Card (minister license). We offer ordination for three different terms:

Minister-License-1-year-Front-ID__18689_thumb.jpg Minister-License-1-year-Front-ID__18689_thumb.jpg Minister-License-1-year-Front-ID__18689_thumb.jpg
 1 Year  5 Year  Lifetime

4. Finally to qualify for ordination with the American Fellowship Church in the state of Wisconsin you must agree to the Certification, and our Code of Ethics.

While training is not required in order to become ordained with the American Fellowship Church, we do urge our members to learn more about being an ordained minister, therefore we offer a number of online courses that are self paced and written in plain English. If you are interested in training please see "Online Minister Training"

*The information provided on this page is for guidance only it is NOT legal advice.

We currently have many ordained ministers in the state of Wisconsin.

It is critically important that you verify all information with your local marriage license office / county clerk before conducting a wedding ceremony. It is your responsibility to operate within the bounds of the law.