Loading... Please wait...

Our Newsletter

New Jersey Minister License

How to Become a Legally Ordained Minister in New Jersey:

With the American Fellowship Church the process of becoming an ordained minister / wedding officiant in New Jersey is very simple, just read below and follow the instructions.

Marriage law in the State of New Jersey:

N ACT concerning marriages and civil unions and amending R.S.37:1-13. 

BE IT ENACTED by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey: 

1. R.S.37:1-13 is amended to read as follows: 

Authorization to solemnize marriages and civil unions.
37:1-13. a. Authorization to solemnize marriages and civil unions.
Each judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, each judge of a 

federal district court, United States magistrate, judge of a municipal court, judge of the Superior Court, judge of a tax court, retired judge of the Superior Court or Tax Court, or judge of the Superior Court or Tax Court, the former County Court, the former County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court, or the former County District Court who has resigned in good standing, surrogate of any county, county clerk, and any mayor or former mayor not currently serving on the municipal governing body or the deputy mayor when authorized by the mayor, or chairman of any township committee or village president of this State, every member of the clergy of every religion, and any civil celebrant who is certified by the Secretary of State to solemnize marriages or civil unions as set forth in subsection b. of this section, are hereby authorized to solemnize marriages or civil unions between such persons as may lawfully enter into the matrimonial relation or civil union; and every religious society, institution or organization in this State may join together in marriage or civil union such persons according to the rules and customs of the society, institution or organization. 

b. A civil celebrant shall be authorized to solemnize marriages or civil unions if certified to do so by the Secretary of State. 

(1) A civil celebrant shall receive a certification from the Secretary of State to solemnize marriages or civil unions if the celebrant: 

(a) is at least 18 years of age and has graduated from a secondary school in this State or another state; 

(b) has completed a civil celebrant course offered by a non-denominational or educational charitable organization that is registered with the State under the "Charitable Registration and Investigation Act," P.L.1994, c.16 (C.45:17A-18 et seq.), and which course: 

(i) includes classes that meet weekly or with more frequency, either administered in person or by other means, over a period of not less than six months; and 

(ii) educates on topics including, but not limited to, celebrant philosophy and history, ceremonial structure, and ceremonial presentations; and 

(c) (i) submits a completed application form, developed by the secretary pursuant to regulation, which includes the name and address of the celebrant-applicant along with any other relevant information on the celebrant-applicant required by the secretary, and supporting documentation with respect to all certification requirements set forth in this subsection; and 

(ii) pays to the Department of State, at the time of submitting the completed application, a fee of not less than $50 or more than $75, as determined by the secretary by regulation, to cover costs for processing applications, producing and issuing certificates, and maintaining records on applications and certificates issued or denied. 

(2) (a) A celebrant-applicant shall not be authorized to solemnize marriages or civil unions until the application for certification is approved and the certificate received from the secretary. 

P.L.2013, CHAPTER 243 2 

(b) A civil celebrant who has received a certification from the secretary may have that certification revoked, through a hearing before an administrative law judge, if the secretary determines that any information provided in the celebrant’s application was inaccurate or otherwise did not comply with the certification requirements set forth in this subsection. A civil celebrant subject to a revocation hearing before an administrative law judge or any appeal thereof shall not be authorized to solemnize marriages or civil unions, and shall only again be authorized to do so if a final determination is made permitting the civil celebrant to retain the certification. 

2. This act shall take effect on the first day of the fourth month next following enactment, but the Secretary of State may take any anticipatory administrative action in advance thereof as determined necessary to implement this act. 

Approved January 17, 2014. 


1. By becoming an ordained minister with the American Fellowship Church you are a "licensed / ordained minister who is authorized by a religious denomination", in accord with our rules and customs we authorize you (once ordained & in good standing with our church) to solemnize marriages and/or officiate at marriage ceremonies.

2. In order to remain in good standing with the American Fellowship Church you must hold an unexpired minster license ID card, and be in "regular communion."
Our definition of regular communion; You must contact us at least 1 time per year, and if any of your contact information should change (your name, physical address, or email) you must notify us within two weeks of the change.

3. In order to become ordained you will need to order an ID Card (minister license). We offer ordination for three different terms:

Minister-License-1-year-Front-ID__18689_thumb.jpg Minister-License-1-year-Front-ID__18689_thumb.jpg Minister-License-1-year-Front-ID__18689_thumb.jpg
 1 Year  5 Year  Lifetime

4. Finally to qualify for ordination with the American Fellowship Church in the state of New Jersey you must agree to the Certification, and our Code of Ethics.

While training is not required in order to become ordained with the American Fellowship Church, we do urge our members to learn more about being an ordained minister, therefore we offer a number of online courses that are self paced and written in plain English. If you are interested in training please see "Online Minister Training"

*The information provided on this page is for guidance only it is NOT legal advice.

We currently have many ordained ministers in the state of New Jersey.

It is critically important that you verify all information with your local marriage license office / county clerk before conducting a wedding ceremony. It is your responsibility to operate within the bounds of the law.