Loading... Please wait...

Our Newsletter

Washington, D.C. Minister License

How to Become a Legally Ordained Minister in Washington, D.C.:

With the American Fellowship Church the process of becoming an ordained minister in Washington, D.C. is a bit of a process, just read below and follow the instructions.

***At this time we are reviewing the laws and the procedures in Washington D.C. and it is unclear if our ministers (who do not have an actual established congregation in D.C.) are eligible to solemnize marriage.***

UPDATE: One of our new ministers has been able to obtain approval from a Superior Court Judge to Solemnize!

Marriage law in the State of Washington, D.C.:

Ministers of any religious society approved or ordained according to the ceremonies of their religious society, whether their residence is in the District of Columbia or elsewhere in the United States or the territories, may be authorized by any judge of the Superior Court of the District of Columbia to celebrate marriages....

Be aware that there are pre-registration requirements that need to be met and it may be difficult for a new minister to obtain approval.


1. By becoming an ordained minister with the American Fellowship Church you are a "licensed / ordained minister who is authorized by a religious denomination", in accord with our rules and customs ***we authorize you (once ordained & in good standing with our church) to solemnize marriages and/or officiate at marriage ceremonies.

***Obtaining approval to perform marriages however may be difficult if you do not have an established congregation in Washington D.C. Additionally solemnizing a marriage without first registering, and obtaining approval from a Superior Court Judge, is forbidden.

2. In order to remain in good standing with the American Fellowship Church you must hold an unexpired minster license ID card, and be in "regular communion."
Our definition of regular communion; You must contact us at least 1 time per year, and if any of your contact information should change (your name, physical address, or email) you must notify us within two weeks of the change.

3. In order to become ordained you will need to order an ID Card (minister license). We offer ordination for three different terms:

Minister-License-1-year-Front-ID__18689_thumb.jpg Minister-License-1-year-Front-ID__18689_thumb.jpg Minister-License-1-year-Front-ID__18689_thumb.jpg
 1 Year  5 Year  Lifetime

4. Finally to qualify for ordination with the American Fellowship Church in the state of Washington, D.C. you must agree to the Certification, and our Code of Ethics.

While training is not required in order to become ordained with the American Fellowship Church, we do urge our members to learn more about being an ordained minister, therefore we offer a number of online courses that are self paced and written in plain English. If you are interested in training please see "Online Minister Training"

*The information provided on this page is for guidance only it is NOT legal advice.

We currently have many ordained ministers in the state of Washington, D.C..

It is critically important that you verify all information with your local marriage license office / county clerk before conducting a wedding ceremony. It is your responsibility to operate within the bounds of the law.