Loading... Please wait...

Our Newsletter

Virginia Minister License

How to Become a Legally Ordained Minister in Virginia:

With the American Fellowship Church the process of becoming an ordained minister / wedding officiant in Virginia is possible, however you must obtain approval BEFORE solemnizing. Read below and follow the instructions.

Marriage law in the State of Virginia:

When a minister of any religious denomination shall produce before the circuit court of any county or city in the Commonwealth of Virginia, or before the judge of such court or before the clerk of such court at any time, proof of his or her ordination and of his or her being in regular communion with the religious society of which he or she is a reputed member, or proof that he or she holds a local minister's license and is serving as a regularly appointed pastor in his or her denomination, such court, or the judge thereof, or the clerk of such court at any time, may make an order authorizing such minister to celebrate the rites of matrimony in this Commonwealth. Any order made under this section may be rescinded at any time by the court or by the judge thereof....

*** In short you must register and recieve approval in order to perform weddings in Virginia additionally you may not charge more than $50 for the service of performing the ceremony*** It is possible that in the State of Virginia, you may not be able to perform weddings at all if you are not an active minister. You will need to check with the county in which you intend to perform a ceremony.


1. By becoming an ordained minister with the American Fellowship Church you are a "licensed / ordained minister who is authorized by a religious denomination", in accord with our rules and customs we authorize you (once ordained & in good standing with our church) to solemnize marriages and/or officiate at marriage ceremonies.

2. In order to remain in good standing with the American Fellowship Church you must hold an unexpired minster license ID card, and be in "regular communion."
Our definition of regular communion; You must contact us at least 1 time per year, and if any of your contact information should change (your name, physical address, or email) you must notify us within two weeks of the change.

3. In order to become ordained you will need to order an ID Card (minister license). We offer ordination for three different terms:

Minister-License-1-year-Front-ID__18689_thumb.jpg Minister-License-1-year-Front-ID__18689_thumb.jpg Minister-License-1-year-Front-ID__18689_thumb.jpg
 1 Year  5 Year  Lifetime

4. Finally to qualify for ordination with the American Fellowship Church in the state of Virginia you must agree to the Certification, and our Code of Ethics.

While training is not required in order to become ordained with the American Fellowship Church, we do urge our members to learn more about being an ordained minister, therefore we offer a number of online courses that are self paced and written in plain English. If you are interested in training please see "Online Minister Training"

*The information provided on this page is for guidance only it is NOT legal advice.

We currently have many ordained ministers in the state of Virginia.

It is critically important that you verify all information with your local marriage license office / county clerk before conducting a wedding ceremony. It is your responsibility to operate within the bounds of the law.